Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Laid off - Day 2

My second day started with a phone call from one of my former engineers. He gave me a number to call in regards to a job opening with a large firm in town. He is dealing with about 7 recruiters and he was informed about the job opening by one of them. I happen to know someone at the company and tried in vain to call her.

Also, I worked on my resume and took my older daughter to school (8) and had lunch with my younger daughter (6). I had a lot of fun at the school and plan to return again. The ladies in the office at the school asked me if I was on vacation and I informed them of my situation. We had a brief conversation about jobs and the economy and then I went back home.

On the way, I called my old boss to see how his day 2 was going. He's working on projects around the house and doing the same old Mr. Mom routine that I am.

I swung by the library and picked up "Bait and Switch" by Barbara Ehrenreich the author of "Nickled and Dimed" fame. The book is about her experience as a "fake" job seeker and details her relationships with career coaches, job search focus groups, and recruiters. I haven't finished it but it is a lot of fun so far. For instance, one of the coaches had her take a personality test that concluded she needs help with writing and the remedy for that is extensive journaling, now that is funny.

While driving around I am coming up with ideas to improve my network and find a job the old fashioned way - by showing up. I'll blog more about that strategy in my next post.

No comments: