Sunday, October 26, 2008

First post

The genesis of this blog came about while attending the Indianapolis Workshops on Software Testing where I met Dave Christiansen who has a theory about corporate IT. He postulates that the experience of working in corporate IT is distinct from that of a "real" software company because corporate IT is controlled by the dark side of technology.

The dark side of technology is a place that is removed from profitability and competitive advantage that is why he coined the term "dark side of technology". I believe I understand his point here but after turning this theory over in my head for the past month, I have come to a similar but different conclusion.

Corporate IT, in my experience, is not in the dark side of technology but the far side of technology. Now this is a working theory so please be patient. The term dark side has evil connotations but I don't believe corporate IT is inherently evil but the bureaucracy that amasses in a large company does make it difficult to operate on the bleeding edge of the technological spectrum.

To me the far side of technology better illustrates the point. The near side is where Dave wants to live and work and I believe it is possible to operate there in a large company but it is much easier in a smaller company or a company that is selling software products. On this blog I will endeavor to explain and document my theories on corporate IT and how we can move closer to the near side of technology.

1 comment:

Symbology said...

Excellent observations... keep up the good work! =)